Submitted by Anjie Davison on Sun, 03/16/2008 - 10:29.
Why Dilly Dilly doll? Because "lavender's blue Dilly Dilly"
- Approx. 20cm x50cm lightweight plain cotton fabric for head and limbs
- Approx. 15cm x 50cm lightweight patterned fabric for body
- Scraps of wadding for stuffing
- 75g of split peas to weight the doll's body
- Small amount of lavender
- Embroidery thread for hair and features
- Sewing thread
An easy to make, decorative item. Here is how to make your own Dilly Dilly Dolls. Please Follow the pictures and instructions included. Doll measures 25cm.
- Pattern for head arms and legs
- Pattern for body/dress
- Place pattern on material cut out
- Pattern pieces cut out of material
- Sew around head - 6mm seam allowance, leave opening for stuffing
- Sew around legs - 6mm seam allowance, stuff foot and knot
- Sew arms - 6mm seam allowance, knot and stuff
- Sew body leave openings at bottom, top and sleeves, turn back 6mm on sleeves
- Sew legs in place
- Sew across corners of body, to give it a base
- Attach hands to dress
- Sew hair and features on head, use a colouring pencil for cheeks
- 75g split peas and some lavender to weight the dolls body
- Turn under 6mm seam at neck edge, run a double thread of gathering stitches, fill body with 75g split peas and lavender now pull up tightly, pushing the head through the gap and securing it with small hand stitches.
- Finished dolls.